05 April 2006

Tigers 2,546, Royals 3: the Debacle

I wonder how many voters out there are reconsidering their "Yes" votes on proposition 1 from yesterday's ballot. Today's game goes beyond the word "embarrassment". I like the word "nausea" or "galling" to describe it. Joe Mays gets shelled, Luke Hudson actually comes in for 1 2/3 IP and keeps the Tigers in check, then gets inexplicably taken out by Bell for Stemle, who promptly gives up 4 ER on 6 hits. Gobble comes in for an inning and gives up a jack. Then Wood comes in and gives up 2 HRs without an out and hits Craig Monroe with a pitch to get ejected. Meanwhile, Berroa has his first "Berroa" game of 2006 with a fielding error and baserunning blunder. Is it possible for the wheels to completely come off a season in game 2 of 162????? 'Cause that feels like what's happening today. Could Mike Sweeney maybe get a hit or two -- can Grudz even make contact? Same goes for Teahen. Only a combined 0-fer-11 today for those three. There was nary a good day for any Royal in today's game.

I got an e-mail from royals.com today entitled "Upgrades on way for KC stadiums!" I'd prefer it to say "Upgrades on way for KC's players!" What good is hundreds of millions in stadium renovations for absolutely atrocious baseball? You can paint an outhouse any color you want, but it's still an outhouse. I guess on the flipside it's not a brand spankin' new stadium paid for to play host to atrocious baseball. I didn't think I'd get disillusioned so quickly this season. Hopefully there's nowhere to go but up. I'm seriously considering registering fireallardbaird.com. I brought up firetonypena.com on a Royals Yahoo e-mail group in 2005 and he was out not too long after. It can be the Pipeline jinx. Please let it be so.

No comments: