AAA - Omaha: Storm Chasers 3, Memphis 2
1B C. Robinson 3-4, 2 HR (6), 2 RBI (13), K, 2 RS -- .400
2B Giavotella 1-4, 2B (2), RBI (10), K -- .283
CF Cain 1-4, 2B (2), 2 K -- .172
3B Moustakas 1-4, K, RS -- .241
DH Hosmer 0-3, BB, K -- .373
LF Lough 0-2, BB, S -- .310
Montgomery 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 4 K, HRA, balk -- 3.00 ERA
Hardy 3 IP, 2 K -- W, 1-0, 1.13 ERA
* Omaha got a big hit off a former Royals farmhand to sweep the Redbirds. The Chasers squandered 2 walks in the 1st and Memphis pushed across a run in the 2nd. Omaha loaded the bases with 1 out in the 2nd but couldn't get a runner home. Mike Montgomery gave up a solo homer in the 3rd but Clint Robinson matched it in the bottom of the frame for his 5th homer of the season. Montgomery stranded 2 in the 4th and Robinson threw out a runner at the plate in the 5th to keep it 2-1 Memphis. A run-scoring error tied it in the 6th but Omaha would strand 2 more. The Storm Chasers wasted another scoring chance in the 7th but, with recently traded RP Victor Marte taking the mound for Memphis in the 8th, Robinson greeted him with his 2nd homer of the night and 6th of the season. Blaine Hardy retired all 9 batters he faced to get the win. 3B Matt Carpenter had 2 hits for the Redbirds. Omaha is 9-7. A 4-game set at the Nashville Sounds (7-8, AAA Brewers) starts Saturday with no named starter I can find at the moment on the Omaha website.
AA - NW Arkansas: Arkansas 6, Naturals 4 (7/G1)
DH Colon 2-4, 2B (2), RBI (11) -- .229
SS Bianchi 2-4, K, picked off -- .360
3B Lisson 1-2, BB, HR (4), 3 RBI (8), 2 RS -- .357
CF D. Robinson 1-4 -- .275
C Perez 0-3, E (3), picked off runner -- .273
RF Nick Van Stratten had an assist at the plate.
W. Smith 4 IP, 4 ER, 10 H, BB, 3 K, HRA -- L, 0-2, 10.61 ERA, yikes
M. Santiago IP, UER, H, BB, K -- 2.25 ERA
Mozingo IP, ER, 2 H, 2 K, WP, balk -- 32.40 ERA
Sisk IP, BB -- 6.00 ERA
* The Naturals made it close late but dropped the first of 2 with the Travs Friday. Will Smith gave up a run on 2 hits before recording an out then gave up 2 runs on 3 XBH in the 2nd. The Naturals stranded 2 in the 2nd and Smith allowed another run in the 3rd before Nick Van Stratten ended the rally with an assist at the plate. Smith worked around 2 hits in the 4th before getting pulled for Mario Santiago, who allowed another run in the 5th. Christian Colon got NWA on the board with a 2-out RBI single in the bottom of that inning, but pulled a Berroa on a Jeff Bianchi single and made the third out at third. Mario Lisson stepped up with 2 out and 2 on in the 6th and slammed a 3-run homer (his 4th) to cut the lead to 5-4 but Brandon Sisk allowed an insurance run in the 7th. Bianchi was picked off at first with 2 on and 1 out in the bottom of the inning and Jamie Romak popped out to end it. C Orlando Mercado had 3 hits and 2 RBI (5) and 2 others had 2 hits. CF Mike Trout was 1-4 to drop to .300.
Naturals 6, Arkansas 1 (7/G2)
LF T. Smith 2-3, 2B (2), HR, 3 RBI (4), 2 RS, OF assist at third -- .333
2B Seratelli 1-3, HR, 2 RBI (3), RS -- .242
3B Mertins 1-3, HR, RBI (4), K, RS -- .286
RF Myers 1-3, RS -- .261
CF D. Robinson 0-3, 2 K -- .259
SS Colon 0-2, BB, K -- .220
DH Bianchi 0-2, S, K -- .346
Rollins 3 IP, ER, 2 H, K -- 4.61 ERA
B. Johnson 3 IP, 3 H, BB, 3 K -- W, 1-0, 0.00 ERA
Keating IP, H, 2 K -- 8.22 ERA
* The longball was the weapon of choice in game 2 for the Naturals. Heath Rollins gave up a triple and sac fly in the 1st but that was all the Travelers would get. Anthony Seratelli and Kurt Mertins went back-to-back in the 2nd as Seratelli's 2-run shot and Mertins' solo shot were their 1st homers of the season. Tim Smith connected for a 3-run dinger in the 3rd to make it 6-1 NWA. Blake Johnson worked around a double and walk in the 6th and Patrick Keating finished it. SS Darwin Perez had 2 hits. CF Trout was 0-3 with a K to drop to .283. The Naturals are 8-6. Game 3 of the series is Saturday night. Edgar Osuna (2-0, 4.38) will start for NW Arkansas.
A-Adv. - Wilmington: rainout
* The rainout will be made up as part of a Saturday doubleheader. Noel Arguelles will start one game. I assume Jake Odorizzi will start the other, but we'll see.
A - Kane County: rainout
* The Cougars' game will also be made up Saturday. Crawford Simmons and Leonel Santiago will likely start for KC.