AAA - Omaha: off day
* A 4-game home set with the Iowa Cubs (10-9) starts Thursday. Vin Mazzaro (1-0, 5.02) makes the start.
AA - NW Arkansas: Springfield 3, Naturals 2 (7/G2 late Tue.)
2B Seratelli 1-3, HR (2), RBI (4), RS -- .282
RF Van Stratten 1-3, HR (2), RBI (6), K, RS -- .255
DH Bianchi 1-3, 2B (6), K -- .322
CF D. Robinson 0-3, K -- .241
SS Colon 0-3, 2 K, E -- .211
Dwyer 6 IP, 3 R (1 ER), 3 H, BB, 4 K -- L, 1-2, 4.19 ERA
* The Naturals outhit the Cards, 5-3, but got outscored on the scoreboard as Springfield split the Tuesday twinbill. The Cards got a run in the 1st on a walk and double but Nick Van Stratten matched it with a solo homer in the 3rd (his 2nd of the season). A 2-out Christian Colon error in the 3rd ended up costing the Naturals dearly as RF Alex Castellanos followed with a 2-run triple to put Springfield up for good. Anthony Seratelli slugged a 2-out solo homer in the 7th (his 2nd) to cut the lead to 1 but Van Stratten grounded out to end it. Castellanos had all 3 of Springfield's RBI to run his season total to 15.
Springfield 4, Naturals 3 (Wed.)
1B Romak 1-4, HR (2), 2 RBI (11), K, RS, E -- .283
3B Lisson 1-3, HR (5), RBI (9), 2 K, RS -- .333
CF D. Robinson 1-3, BB, K, RS -- .246
DH Colon 1-4 -- .213
SS Bianchi 0-3, S, K -- .306
C S. Perez 0-4 -- .275
Lamb 5 IP, 2 UER, 4 H, BB, 4 K, HRA -- 3.86 ERA
Paulino 2 IP, 2 K, balk -- 4.91 ERA
Baumann 1 1/3 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, BB, K, HRA, WP -- L, 0-1, 9.58 ERA
B. Johnson 0 IP, BB, WP -- 0.00 ERA
* A late flurry of scoring ended with a squeeze play making the difference in another Springfield win. John Lamb stranded 2 in the 1st and an error would haunt NWA again in the 3rd, as Jamie Romak made a 2-out throwing error and Castellanos followed with his 6th homer, a 2-run shot, to make it 2-0 Cards. Cards SP Nick Additon was perfect through 6 but Derrick Robinson and Christian Colon broke that up with 7th inning singles. The Nats left 'em both in scoring position. Mario Lisson went solo with 2 out in the 8th for his 5th homer to cut the lead in half. Buddy Baumann gave up a leadoff homer in the bottom of the inning to give the Cards some insurance they would need. Romak came up to the plate with 1 on and 2 out in the 9th and totally redeemed himself with a 2-run homer (his 2nd) to tie the game. Baumann gave up a leadoff double in the 9th and was pulled for Blake Johnson with 1 out. A wild pitch got the would-be winning run to 3rd and C (and 9th hole hitter) Nick Derba executed the squeeze play to bring the winning run home. Additon allowed 2 ER with 7 K over 8 IP but got the ND as his ERA dropped to 2.60. Castellanos was 3-4 with the homer and 2 RBI (17) to move to .309. NWA is 9-8. The series wraps Thursday as Will Smith (0-2, 10.61) tries to recover from a couple bad starts.
A-Adv. - Wilmington: Lynchburg 3, Blue Rocks 2 (9/comp. of Tue. game)
2B Navarro 2-3, HBP, 2B (5), E (3) -- .420
1B Whittleman 1-4, HR (4), RBI (15), RS -- .258
3B Batista 0-3, SF, RBI (5), 2 K -- .167
LF Merrifield 0-3, BB, 2 K -- .308
DH Francis 1-4 -- .261, 11-game hit streak
Sample 2 1/3 IP, 2 H, BB, K -- 1.72 ERA, rain ended his outing early
Paukovits 3 2/3 IP, 3 R (1 ER), 4 H, 2 K -- L, 0-1, 3.38 ERA
Herrera 2 IP, nothing -- 1.04 ERA
* The Rocks' errors total of 4 was more than either team scored as Lynchburg took the completed Tuesday game tonight. The Rocks stranded 2 in the 1st but Tyler Sample stranded 2 in the 2nd. Play was suspended Tuesday with 1 out in the bottom of the 3rd, and resumed Wednesday evening. Bryan Paukovits took the mound tonight and ran into trouble in the 4th as Lynchburg scored 3 runs on 3 hits, a Rey Navarro error and Jose Bonilla passed ball. Deivy Batista hit a sac fly in the 5th but the Rocks would strand 2. John Whittleman led off the 9th with his 4th homer of the season and a 2-out Carlo Testa single went for naught. 3B Joe Leonard led the Hillcats with 2 hits (both doubles) and his 8th RBI.
Lynchburg 5, Blue Rocks 2 (7/reg. Wed. game)
LF Merrifield 1-2, BB, SF, 2B (4), RBI (7), RS -- .313
RF Francis 1-2, BB, 2B (7), RBI (14), SB (3) -- .268, make that a 12-game hit streak
1B Lewis 0-2, BB, 2 K -- .275
Marks 6 IP, 5 ER, 8 H, BB, 2 K, HRA, pickoff -- L, 1-1, 6.20 ERA
* The Rocks garnered only 3 hits as the Hillcats had a 2-win day. Nick Francis hit an RBI groundout in the 1st, but Lynchburg scored 2 on 4 hits off Justin Marks in the 2nd. Whit Merrifield hit a sac fly in the 3rd. Lynchburg took the lead in the 4th and wouldn't give it up as they added 2 runs in the 5th on a 2-run shot by DH Joseph Terdoslavich. Other than the 2 runs, the Rocks' only highlight was Francis stretching his hit streak to 12 with a 3rd inning double. SS Andrelton Simmons was 3-3 and a homer short of the cycle. He had 2 RBI (6). The Rocks are 12-7. Jake Odorizzi starts Thursday's matinee series finale.
A - Kane County: Cedar Rapids 5, Cougars 4
3B Stovall 2-4, RBI (12), K, RS -- .378
DH Aparicio 1-4, 2B, RBI, 2 K -- .250, season debut
2B Espinal 1-4, RBI (6), K, RS -- .200
CF Llanos 1-3, BB, K, RS -- .311
LF Fletcher 0-4 -- .347
Hayenga 6 IP, 5 ER, 9 H, 2 BB, 4 K, WP -- L, 1-1, 5.85 ERA
Hodge 2 IP, H, K -- 3.86 ERA
* Cedar Rapids got the 3-game sweep as 4 early runs helped fuel another Kernels victory. Keaton Hayenga gave up an RBI double in the 1st, then allowed 3 straight singles to start the 2nd before a 2-run double made it 4-0 Kernels. Yowill Espinal got KC off ground zero with an RBI single in the 3rd and Ryan Stovall did the same before a throwing error scored Espinal to cut the lead to 4-3. The Cougars stranded 2 in the 4th and Cedar Rapids plated a run that inning to make it 5-3. Julio Aparicio hit a 2-out RBI double in the 5th but he would be the last Cougar to reach. The last 13 KC batters went down consecutively. Four Kernels had 2 hits as 3B Jeremy Cruz had 2 doubles (3) and 3 RBI (6) to move to .304. Kane County is 7-13. The Cougars travel to play the Burlington Bees (13-5, A Athletics) for 3 games starting Thursday. Greg Billo (0-0, 1.69) will start game 1. Crawford Simmons was placed on the DL as Aparicio joined the squad.