AAA - Omaha: all-star game
* As shown in the title, the big news today is Mike Moustakas' promotion to Omaha. He takes Irving Falu's spot for now as Irving was inactivated to take part in a tournament. In tonight's AAA All-Star Game, Alex Gordon DH'ed and went 0-2. Kila Ka'aihue entered the game in the 6th as a pinch hitter and 1B and ended up 0-2. The PCL lost to the IL, 2-1.
AA - NW Arkansas: off day
* A 4-game home set with the Springfield Cardinals (6-11) starts Thursday. Alex Caldera starts for NWA. No move to replace Moustakas has been announced. Does Hosmer have a shot?
A-Adv. - Wilmington: rainout
* The opener with Frederick was rained out and will be made up as part of a Thursday double dip. Buddy Baumann and John Lamb start the games.
A - Burlington: Bees 7, Bowling Green 6
CF Richardson 2-2, BB, 2B (9), 2 RBI (26), 2 RS, 2 SB (27), picked off -- .192, good things came in 2s Wednesday for Hilton
LF Testa 2-4, 2 HR (10), 2 RBI (33), K, 2 RS, OF assist at home -- .266
SS Hall 2-4, 2 RBI (33), K -- .236
1B Lewis 0-4 -- .243
Marimon 5 1/3 IP, 4 ER, 3 H, BB, 4 K, HRA -- W, 2-2, 7.67 ERA
Barrow 2/3 IP, 2 ER, 2 H, K, HRA -- 6.14 ERA
Hodge IP, H, 2 BB -- 5.10 ERA
Dennick 2 IP, BB, 2 K -- SV, 4, 4.06 ERA
* The Bees outlasted the Hot Rods in the series opener. Carlo Testa went deep in the 1st for his 9th homer of the 1st but Bowling Green tied it in the 2nd off Sugar Ray Marimon. Hilton Richardson hit a 2-run single in the 2nd and Gerard Hall singled in a run to make it 4-1. Marimon gave up a homer in the 3rd but Testa slammed his 10th homer of the season and 2nd of the game to lead off the Bees 3rd and make it 5-2. Richardson stole 2 bases and scored on a Hall single in the 4th and an error scored a run to make it 7-2 in the 5th. Marimon was pulled with 2 on and 1 out in the 6th and Brandon Barrow allowed a 2-run double and 2-run homer to cut the lead to 1. Testa got it done on both sides of the ball as he had an assist at home to end the 7th and the bullpen took it home from there. Starter Jason McEachern took the loss with 6 ER over 4 IP to drop to 4-8. 1B Ryan Wiegand had 2 hits and 2 RBI (40) and C Mark Thomas had his 4th homer and 2 RBI (32). The Bees are 9-9. The series continues Thursday.
Rookie - Idaho Falls: IF and Billings are tied at 5 in the 10th
LF Ferguson 5-5, 2 2B (3), RBI (7), RS, picked off -- .325
3B Culver 2-5, K, RS, E (4) -- .221
DH Watts 1-4, BB, 2B (6), RBI (20), 2 K -- .286
1B Kuebler 1-5, RBI (16) -- .318
2B Espinal 0-3, BB, HBP, K, RS, CS (4) -- .308
RF Taylor 1-4, BB, 2B (2), K, RS -- .500
C Cornstubble 0-3, BB, K, 2 E (3) -- .353, picked off guy at first too
Mariot 4 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 7 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 2 WP -- 2.70 ERA
Graffeo 3 IP, H -- 1.98 ERA
Graham 2/3 IP, ER, H, 3 BB, K -- 4.63 ERA
Rivers 2 1/3 IP, H, BB, 3 K -- 0.84 ERA
Morizio came on for the 11th.
* The teams played neck-and-neck as the game went to extras. The Mustangs got a run in the 1st off Mike Mariot but Murray Watts doubled in the tying run in the bottom of the inning. Tim Ferguson hit an RBI double in the 2nd but Dale Cornstubble was thrown out at the plate to end the inning. Billings surged ahead with 3 in the 4th off Mariot on 3 hits, 2 walks, 2 wild pitches and an error. The Chukars got 2 runs back on an error and passed ball to tie it at 4 but Reggie Taylor was thrown out trying to score to end the inning. Jake Kuebler hit a 2-out RBI single in the 7th but Tyler Graham gave up the tying run in the 8th but Alex Rivers came on to strand the bases full. I'll go over how it ended tomorrow.
Rookie - Burlington: Greeneville 6, B-Royals 0 (3-hitter)
SS McClure 2-3, K -- .257
2B Piterson 1-4, K, E (7) -- .325
CF Llanos 0-4, 2 K -- .263
1B Stovall 0-4, K -- .338
C Jenkins 0-2, 2 K -- .288
L. Santiago 6 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, BB, 7 K, HRA -- L, 4-1, 2.25 ERA
Leaper IP, UER, H -- 0.00 ERA
Keck IP, 3 ER, 4 H, K, 2 HRA, WP -- 2.79 ERA
* The Royals had almost as many errors as hits in Wednesday's loss. Leonel Santiago gave up a 2-run homer in the 1st and, with no room for error on the night, it ended up costing him the game. The Royals had hits in each of the first 2 innings and only 1 the rest of the game. The last 14 Royals went down in order. J.J. Leaper and Jonathon Keck gave up 4 late runs to turn it into a runaway. RP Vincent Velasquez allowed a hit over 3 IP to improve to 1-0. Starter Mike Foltynewicz allowed 2 hits with 5 K over 4 IP. LF Emilio King had 3 hits and 3 Stros had 2 hits. The Royals are 12-10. Game 2 is Thursday.
Rookie - AZL: The Royals finished off the 6-4 win Tuesday.
The Royals are down to the Giants, 6-2, early
2B Mateo 1-2, HR (2), RBI (8), RS -- .212
LF Jos. Rodriguez 1-2, RBI (4), CS (3) -- .255
DH Cuthbert 0-2, K -- .250
C Shin 0-2, K -- .255
SS Antonio 1-1, 2B -- .375
RF Alcantara 0-1, K, OF assist at third -- .302
CF Sandford 0-0, BB, RS, OF assist at third -- .387
Ventura 3 IP, 6 ER, 8 H, 3 BB, 3 K, HRA, WP -- 4.95 ERA
* The rookie Royals squad got 2 runs off former Royal and rehabbing big-leaguer Todd Wellemeyer, but the Giants have already struck for 6 off Yordano Ventura. Ventura struggled in the 1st as the Giants plated 4 runs on 2 walks and 4 hits. Ventura gave up a 2-run homer in the 2nd but the Royals got the runs back as Jose Rodriguez hit an RBI single and Daniel Mateo hit an inside-the-park HR for his 2nd of the season. Don't remember the last time there was an inside-the-park homer for a Royals minor team. We'll see tomorrow if the Royals could come back.