AAA - Omaha: O-Royals 7, Nashville 2
1B Ka'aihue 3-4, 2 HR (20), 4 RBI (67), 2 RS -- .310
CF Ankiel 2-5, HR (4), 2 RBI (9), 2 K, 2 RS -- .288
SS Lucas 2-4, K -- .335
LF Gordon 1-3, BB, HR (14), RBI (44), K, 2 RS -- .320
RF Lough 1-4, BB, RS -- .258
3B Moustakas 1-4, 2B -- .150
C Pina 0-4, 2 K -- .258
Bullington 7 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K -- W, 7-2, 2.84 ERA
B. Hardy IP, 2 K -- 1.80 ERA
Holland IP, BB, K -- 4.09 ERA
* The Royals rolled past the Redbirds Monday. Rick Ankiel bashed a 2-run homer in the 1st for his 4th of the season at AAA but Memphis got a run back off Bryan Bullington in the bottom of the inning. Kila Ka'aihue made it 5-1 with a 3-run homer in the 3rd for his 19th of the season. Alex Gordon and Kila went back-to-back in the 5th for their 14th and 20th of the season to make it 7-1 Omaha. Former Royal Ruben Gotay doubled home a run in the 7th for Memphis but no more Redbirds reached. Memphis SP Chuckie Fick allowed 7 ER over 5 IP to drop to 2-1. Four 'Birds had a hit each. Omaha is 50-44. Gaby Hernandez starts Tuesday.
AA - NW Arkansas: Arkansas 7, Naturals 6
1B Hosmer 3-5, 2B (2), HR (3), 3 RBI (7), 2 RS -- .429, no, Frawley wasn't dragging down Hosmer or Moustakas' numbers at Wilmington
LF Dyson 2-2, 2 BB, HBP, 2 RBI (5), RS, SB (3), CS, picked off -- .417
RF Orlando 0-2, BB, K, SF, RBI (41), RS, SB (17), E (8) -- .322
CF D. Robinson 0-3, 2 BB, 2 K, RS, SB (41) -- .308
DH C. Robinson 1-3, HBP, K, CS (3) -- .312
2B Giavotella 1-2, BB, S, RS, SB (13) -- .283
3B Romak 0-3, BB, K -- .467
Crow 5 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 5 H, 3 BB, 4 K, pickoff, balk -- 5.60 ERA
B. Johnson 3 IP, 2 H, K -- 5.44 ERA
Sisk 0 IP, 3 ER, 3 H -- L, 4-3, 4.37 ERA, second straight rough outing
R. Hardy 0 IP, 2 H -- BS, 3, 4.40 ERA
* If you can't figure it out from the pitching lines above, the Nats blew it in the 9th Monday. Aaron Crow gave up a run on a walk and hit in the 1st and then allowed 3 runs in the 4th a walk and 3 hits to make it 4-0 Cards. Run support didn't trickle through until the 6th when Eric Hosmer blasted his 3rd AA homer for a 2-run shot to cut the lead in half. With 2 out and the bases loaded in the 7th, Jarrod Dyson came through with a clutch 2-run single to tie it. Hosmer led off the 8th with a double and scored on a Paulo Orlando sac fly to give the Naturals the lead. Hosmer knocked an RBI single in the 9th but Derrick Robinson was thrown out at third on the play to end the inning. Brandon Sisk had a rocky start to the 9th as he gave up 3 hits for a run before recording an out and in came Rowdy Hardy. Hardy fared no better as he gave up 2 singles, including a 2-run walkoff single to LF Jeremy Moore to end it. RP Ismael Carmona allowed an ER over 1 2/3 IP to improve to 2-1. Starter Michael Anton allowed 2 ER over 5 2/3 IP. SS Carlos Colmenares had 3 hits and 1B Efren Navarro had 2 hits for the Travs. The Naturals are 15-7.
A-Adv. - Wilmington: Blue Rocks 2, Myrtle Beach 0 (4-hitter)
RF Francis 2-3, BB, RS, SB (4) -- .273
C Myers 1-4, RBI (14), K -- .362
LF Oriental 1-4, 2B (2), RBI (2), K -- .375
SS Colon 0-3, BB, K, E (6) -- .227
DH Lewis 0-4, 3 K -- .000, Rocks debut
Paukovits 7 IP, 3 H, BB, 2 K -- W, 2-2, 4.44 ERA
Chapman IP, 3 K -- 0.00 ERA
Bowden IP, H -- SV, 9, 1.89 ERA
* Bryan Paukovits led the Rocks to the shutout win over the Pelicans. Rene Oriental hit an RBI double in the 5th and Wil Myers singled in a run in the 8th. Paukovits scattered 3 hits and Kevin Chapman struck out the side in the 8th. Barry Bowden got a lineout double play in the 9th to end it for his 9th save. Randall Delgado took the loss with an ER over 7 IP to fall to 4-7. Four Pelicans had a hit each. The Rocks are 16-8 and 2 1/2 games up on first place at the moment. Buddy Baumann starts Tuesday.
A - Burlington: rainout
* The game with Dayton is cancelled, as they don't play each other again this season. The Bees have Tuesday off. Tyler Sample was named MWL Pitcher of the Week after his 7 IP, 1-hit start against Dayton.
Rookie - Idaho Falls: The Chukars and Great Falls are tied at 3 late
DH Cuthbert 1-4, HR, RBI, K, RS -- .250, 16-year-old hitting fast track in Pioneer League
3B Culver 1-3, 3B, RBI (9), K, RS -- .214
C Cornstubble 0-2, SF, RBI (3), K -- .300
1B Watts 1-4, K -- .315
LF Ferguson 1-3, K, RS -- .323
Mariot 6 IP, 2 R (1 ER), 2 H, 2 BB, 9 K, WP -- 2.48 ERA
J. Mitchell 2 2/3 IP, ER, 4 H, BB, 3 K, 2 WP -- 2.79 ERA
Rivers 1/3 IP, K -- 0.82 ERA
* The Chukars took the lead in the middle innings but lost it in the 7th as the game appeared headed to extras. Cheslor Cuthbert made his 1st Pioneer League AB a smash hit with a homer in the 1st to make it 1-0 Chukars. The Voyagers tied it in the 3rd and took the lead in the 4th off Mike Mariot but Malcom Culver tripled in the tying run in the 5th and Dale Cornstubble hit a sac fly to make it 3-2 IF. Jason Mitchell threw 2 wild pitches to help score the tying run in the 7th. Justin Trapp was thrown out at home to end the Chukars 8th and Alex Rivers came on to strand 2 Voyagers in the 9th. The game is headed to the 10th. LH Jordan Roualdes has also been promoted to IF along with Cuthbert.
Rookie - Burlington: Princeton 7, B-Royals 5
1B Baldwin 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI (7), K, 2 RS -- .133, bat starting to come around?
SS McClure 2-4, RBI (11), K -- .265
CF Llanos 2-5, 2B (10), RS -- .253
LF MacDougall 1-4, RBI (14), K, RS, E -- .224
DH Ad. Martinez 0-4, RBI (4), 2 K -- .200
2B Piterson 1-3, S, RS, CS (2) -- .305
L. Santiago 6 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP -- 2.38 ERA
Keck 1 1/3 IP, 2 ER, H, 2 BB -- 4.09 ERA
Lohden 1/3 IP, 3 UER, H, BB, K, 2 WP -- BS, 2, L, 0-2, 1.65 ERA
Leaper 1/3 IP, nothing -- 0.00 ERA
* The Royals took command in the 8th but saw the Rays roar back for the win. Leonel Santiago gave up the game's first hit in the 3rd as he escaped a minor jam. The Rays scored 2 in the 4th but Adrian Martinez cut it in half with an RBI groundout in the 5th. The Royals stranded 2 in the 6th but rallied in the 8th with a Gabe MacDougall game-tying RBI single, a big 2-run Geoff Baldwin double and Alex McClure RBI single to make it 5-2. Cole Lohden came in with 2 on and 1 out in the 8th and got the second out before a run-scoring wild pitch and walk were followed by the would-be last out but a third strike wild pitch and throwing error scored 2 runs to tie the game. A Yunior Figueroa throwing error scored the go-ahead run and an RBI single finished the rally at 7-5. The Royals went down in order in the 9th. RP Mickey Jannis allowed 4 unearned runs over 2 IP for his 1st blown save but got the win to move to 3-0. Starter Andrew Bellatti allowed an ER with 8 K over 6 IP. Three Rays had 2 hits. The Royals are 15-12. The teams shift to Burlington for 3 games starting Tuesday as Mike Giovenco starts.
Rookie - AZL: The Royals ended up winning, 8-5, Sunday over the Brewers. DH Shane Costa ended up with 3 hits, his 1st comeback homer and 3 RBI (6). CF Cameron Conner and 2B Daniel Mateo had 2 hits and 3B Victor Soto had 2 RBI (7). The player of the game for the Royals was Robinson Yambati, who allowed only 2 hits and a walk with 10 K over 6 IP to improve to 3-1 with a 3.29 ERA.
The Royals are down, 1-0, to the Cubs in the middle innings.
3B Mateo 1-2 -- .229, Royals' only hit thus far
SS Antonio 0-2, CS (3) -- .303
DH Shin 0-2 -- .276
1B Moreno 0-2, 2 K -- .319
RF Alcantara 0-2 -- .321
CF Conner 0-2, K -- .213
LF J. Blanco 0-1 -- .208
C Marquez 0-1 -- .240
Montgomery 2 IP, nothing -- 0.00 ERA, rehabbing
Caldwell IP, nothing -- 0.00 ERA
Y. Ventura 2 IP, ER, 2 H, 2 K -- 4.58 ERA
* The Royals got an inning's dose of Carlos Zambrano and have yet to figure out P Luis Liria in the middle frames. Zambrano pitched a scoreless 2nd for the Cubs while Mike Montgomery pitched 2 scoreless for the Royals. Yordano Ventura gave up a run on 2 hits and a 2-out run-scoring wild pitch to notch the game's only run. A 1st inning Daniel Mateo single is the Royals' only hit thus far. More to come tomorrow...