AAA - Omaha: Storm Chasers 6, Albuquerque 4
CF Cain 2-3, BB, HR (12), RBI (55), 2 RS -- .323, hitting out of 3 slot
1B Robinson 1-3, BB, 2B (24), 2 RBI (67), RS -- .312
2B Giavotella 1-4, 3B (2), RBI (66), RS -- .338
DH Ka'aihue 0-2, BB, SF, RBI (47), K -- .279
LF Lough 1-4, RS -- .316
C S. Perez 1-4, 2B, picked off runner -- .250, already showing defensive stuff in AAA debut
Suppan 6 IP, 4 ER, 8 H, 3 BB, 2 K, 2 HRA -- 4.66 ERA
Sisk 2 IP, H, 2 BB, 5 K -- W, 3-1, 1.65 ERA
Chavez IP, H, BB, 3 K -- SV, 12, 3.40 ERA
* Omaha came up with some 8th inning magic to even the series with the Isotopes. Lorenzo Cain got it started with a 2-out solo homer in the 1st for his 12th of the season. Unfortunately it was a short-lived lead as Jeff Suppan gave up a 3-run blast in the 2nd. Suppan then gave up another solo homer in the 5th to make it 4-1. Johnny Giavotella came through with an RBI triple in the 5th and scored on a wild pitch by P John Ely to cut the lead to 4-3. Roy Corcoran took on that lead in the 8th but Clint Robinson stung him with a 2-run double and Kila Ka'aihue added a sac fly to give the Chasers a 6-4 lead. Jesse Chavez stranded 2 in the 9th for his 12th save. Omaha is 56-48. Game 3 is Thursday. Luis Mendoza will start. C Manny Pina and P Mario Santiago have been sent down to AA as C Salvador Perez (as shown) and P Kelvin "Absolute Zero" Herrera have taken their roster slots.
AA - NW Arkansas: Naturals 6, Tulsa 3
CF Robinson 2-3, 2 BB, 2 RBI (17), RS, 2 SB (40) -- .279
SS Colon 2-5, RBI (53) -- .254
LF Orlando 2-4, RBI (5), RS, SB -- .343
3B Lisson 1-3, BB, 2 RBI (36), K, 2 RS, SB (9) -- .256
DH Myers 0-4, K -- .251
RF Jeff Francis had an assist at third.
Odorizzi 6 IP, 3 ER, 7 H, 6 K, 2 HRA -- W, 3-0, 4.71 ERA
M. Santiago 2 IP, 2 H, BB, 3 K -- 1.35 ERA
Chapman IP, 3 K -- SV, 3, 3.42, dominant save
* The Naturals slapped together a 5-run rally and Jake Odorizzi earned his 3rd AA win. The big rally came in the 2nd as Paulo Orlando hit an RBI single, Mario Lisson hit a 2-run single, and Derrick Robinson and Christian Colon hit RBI singles to pile up a 5-0 lead. Tulsa hit 2 homers off Odorizzi in the 4th and added another run in the 5th but Odorizzi held them to that. Robinson singled in another run in the 6th and Mario Santiago, fresh back in a Nats uniform, and Kevin Chapman brought it home from there. NWA is 18-14 and 3 games up on first. They go for a key sweep Thursday. Edgar Garcia is set to start.
A-Adv. - Wilmington: Potomac 5, Blue Rocks 1
DH Testa 2-4 -- .265
SS Hall 1-3, 2B (3), RBI (6) -- .236
CF Merrifield 1-3, BB, 2 K, CS (11) -- .263
Sample 5 IP, 5 R (3 ER), 8 H, 2 BB, 3 K, HRA, E (5) -- L, 6-8, 5.42 ERA
E. Pimentel 2 IP, H, BB, K -- 3.59 ERA
Rivers 2 IP, K -- 0.00 ERA, Rocks debut
* The Rocks were stymied by Sammy Solis and the Nationals. Tyler Sample stumbled through a 2-run 1st and the Rocks got 2 runners on in each of the first 3 innings but made nothing of it. Sample gave up a solo homer in the 4th then the P-Nats got 2 off Sample and Elisaul Pimentel in the 6th. Solis retired 13 in a row from the 3rd thru the 7th. Gerard Hall chased him with an RBI double in the 8th but RP Marcos Frias quickly stomped out any embers and the Rocks didn't rally in the 9th. Wilmington is 11-21. The Rocks will try to avert a sweep on Thursday with Justin Marks pitching. P Allen Caldwell has been called up after pitching well in Kane County.
A - Kane County: Cedar Rapids 6, Cougars 3
LF Fletcher 2-3, HBP, 3B (3), RBI (38), K -- .340
2B Franco 2-5, 2 K -- .238
3B Cuthbert 1-4, RBI (36), K -- .328
CF Eibner 1-3, 2 BB, K, RS -- .189
Ventura 3 1/3 IP, ER, 3 H, 2 K -- 5.03 ERA
A. Cruz 2 2/3 IP, 2 H, BB, 4 K, WP -- 2.91 ERA
Hodge 2/3 IP, 4 ER, H, 3 BB, WP -- L, 2-1, 6.56 ERA
C. White 1 1/3 IP, ER, 4 H, 2 K -- 8.44 ERA
Byrne IP, K -- 3.40 ERA
* A 4-run 7th fueled a Kernels win. Yordano Ventura allowed a run in the 1st but the Cougars matched it on a Cheslor Cuthbert RBI single in the bottom of the inning. KC left 2 in scoring position in the 3rd, then left the bases full of Cougars in the 5th. Mitch Hodge came in long enough to combine with new addition RP Cole White to allow 4 runs in the 7th to blow the game open. A run-scoring error and Brian Fletcher RBI triple cut it to 5-3 in the bottom of the inning but the Kernels got a run back in the 8th and KC didn't threaten again. The Cougars are 18-13. Jason Adam pitches game 2 Thursday.
Rookie - Idaho Falls: Missoula 4, Chukars 3 (Tue.)
CF Davis 1-3, HR (4), 3 RBI (19), K, RS -- .337
C Escobar 1-4, 2B (9), RS, PB (7) -- .344
B. Martin 7 IP, 6 H, 4 K, pickoff -- 3.86 ERA, robbed of a well-deserved W
Middendorf IP, ER, H, K -- 6.75 ERA
Fassold 1/3 IP, 3 R (2 ER), 4 H -- BS, 2, L, 1-1, 4.91 ERA
* A disastrous bottom of the 9th cost Brennon Martin and the Chukars the win. Mike Liberto hit a 1-out triple in the 3rd but got thrown out in an odd double play on a ball hit by Tyler Chism. Runey Davis provided the entirety of the IF scoring offense with a 3-run homer in the 5th for his 4th career blast to make it 3-0 Chukars in support of Martin. David Middendorf lost the shutout as a triple led to a run in the 8th but he handed a 3-1 lead to Cody Fassold to start the 9th. A Liberto error cost the Chukars a possible out and a groundout plated a run and put runners at first and second. From there it was RBI single, RBI single, walkoff single by C Roidany Aguila to end it. Idaho Falls is 15-20. The series ends tonight.
Rookie - Burlington: Bluefield 3, B-Royals 0
C Shin 2-3, 2B (7), PB (4) -- .241
SS Antonio 2-4 -- .281
DH Swab 1-3, K -- .216
RF Derek Hamblen had an assist at the plate.
Murray 5 IP, UER, 2 H, BB, 6 K, 2 E (3) -- L, 1-2, 3.82 ERA
Graham 3 IP, ER, H, 3 BB, 3 K, WP -- 3.24 ERA
Ferguson IP, ER, 2 H, 2 K -- 4.00 ERA
* The Royals generated only 5 hits on offense as Bluefield came away with the series opener. The Royals ran into a rally-killing double play in the 1st and Bluefield struck for the first run in the 2nd. Jays pitchers retired 15 in a row at one point and Bluefield added runs in the 8th and 9th to put it on ice. Burlington is 14-22. Game 2 is Thursday. As seen above, P Alex Rivers has been moved up to Wilmington.
Rookie - AZL: off day