AAA - Omaha: Storm Chasers 7, Nashville 0 (2-hitter)
DH Ka'aihue 3-4, BB, 2B (7), RS -- .315
CF Cain 2-4, BB, 3 RBI (38), CS (3) -- .304
SS Zawadzki 2-4, BB, 2B (11), RBI (28), K -- .264
2B Giavotella 1-5, 2B (20), 2 RBI (52) -- .319
LF Lough 1-3, RBI (33) -- .308
1B C. Robinson 1-3, 2 BB, K, 3 RS -- .340
Suppan CG, 2 H, 2 BB, 3 K -- W, 6-4, 5.11 ERA, still has some in the tank?
* Jeff Suppan spun a 2-hitter and the Storm Chasers steamed past the Sounds. Lance Zawadzki broke the early ice with an RBI double in the 4th and Omaha added 3 in the 5th on a David Lough RBI single and 2-run Johnny Giavotella double. Suppan retired the final 13 Sounds, and Omaha added a 2-run Lorenzo Cain single in the 8th and a Cain RBI single in the 9th. Omaha is 39-33. The teams play a Wednesday doubleheader. Luis Mendoza and Sean O'Sullivan will start.
AA - NW Arkansas: Naturals 10, Tulsa 2
RF Myers 3-4, BB, 2B (9), RBI (14), K, 2 RS -- .296
DH Smith 2-3, RBI (37), RS, CS (2) -- .302
1B Romak 2-5, HR (9), RBI (39), 2 K, RS -- .249
3B Mertins 2-4, RBI (27) -- .256
2B Bianchi 1-5, 2B (16), 3 RBI (32), K -- .279
LF Seratelli 1-5, HR (7), 2 RBI (36), 2 K, RS -- .314
C S. Perez 1-5, 2B (9), RBI (14), RS -- .263
SS Colon 2-4, BB, 2B (6), 3 RS -- .261
CF D. Robinson 0-4, BB, K, RS -- .250
Baumann 6 1/3 IP, ER, 3 H, BB, 8 K, HRA -- W, 3-2, 3.58 ERA, good start
Baez 1 2/3 IP, H, 2 K, WP -- 5.60 ERA
Rollins IP, ER, H, 2 K, HRA -- 3.89 ERA
* The Naturals got a clutch start from Buddy Baumann to win in the must-win situation, but Arkansas clinched the first-half title anyway. Anthony Seratelli hit an RBI groundout and Tim Smith hit an RBI single to give the Naturals a 2-0 lead. Wil Myers hit an RBI double in the 3rd and the Nats scored 2 in the 4th on a Salvador Perez RBI double and Kurt Mertins RBI single. Seratelli went deep in the 5th for his 7th homer of the season to make it 6-0. Baumann retired 14 in a row at one point. The Naturals took walks to load the bases with 0 out in the 7th and Jeff Bianchi cleared the bases with a 2-out double. Baumann allowed a solo homer before getting pulled in the bottom of the inning but Jamie Romak matched it with a leadoff longball in the 8th for his 9th of the season. Heath Rollins allowed a homer in the 9th before closing it out. C Wilin Rosario hit his 11th homer and 1B Ben Paulsen hit his 8th homer of the season for Tulsa. NWA finished the first half 35-32. Arkansas is whipping Springfield to clinch the first-half title. The series concludes Wednesday. Will Smith will start. Wil Myers and Kelvin Herrera have been added to the all-star team.
A-Adv. - Wilmington: all-star game tonite
* I'll recap the Blue Rocks' action tomorrow.
A - Kane County: all-star game tonite
* I'll recap the Cougars' doings in the game tomorrow.
Rookie - Idaho Falls: Ogden 20, Chukars 0 (Mon.)
2B Piterson 3-3, 3B, SB, E -- he started hot last year too
DH Espy 2-4, K -- nice pro debut
LF Chism 1-4, 2 K
3B Threlkeld 0-4, 2 K
Dooley 4 1/3 IP, 5 ER, 9 H, 3 BB, 6 K, WP -- L, 0-1, 10.38 ERA, starting with WHIP of 3 probably wasn't in the plans
Patton 2/3 IP, K -- 0.00 ERA, at least he had a solid pro debut
Middendorf IP, 7 R (6 ER), 7 H, 2 WP -- 54.00 ERA, not so solid pro debut
Jo. Sanchez 2 1/3 IP, 7 R (5 ER), 6 H, 3 BB, 2 K, HRA, WP -- 19.29 ERA
Liberto 2/3 IP, ER, 2 H, HRA -- 13.50 ERA
* Ogden took 9 innings of batting practice on Monday...oh wait, that was the game. The Raptors scored 20 runs on 24 hits and 6 walks to dominate the season opener over the Chukars. Five singles scored 2 runs in the 1st before Jonathan Dooley struck out the side with the bases loaded. Dooley allowed a run on a wild pitch in the 3rd and 4 more singles scored 2 more runs in the 5th before Dooley was pulled. David Middendorf made his pro debut in the 6th and struggled to say the least. The Raptors scored 7 runs thanks to the benefit of 5 doubles in the inning and the inning came to an end with Ogden up, 12-0. Jose Sanchez gave up 4 more runs in the 7th and IF stranded 2 in the 8th. Sanchez handed a bases-loaded, 1-out situation to position player Mike Liberto in the 9th and a 3-run homer and sac fly finished the slaughter. The Chukars stranded 2 more in the 9th. Ogden SP Gustavo Gomez allowed 3 hits with 6 Ks over 5 IP to start the season 1-0. Six Raptors had multiple hits led by 5 hits from 1B Matt Kirkland. IF is 0-1, but it can only go up from here, right? Robert Penny starts tonight's game.
UPDATE -- IF is down, 10-4, in the late innings tonight. I'll recap it Wednesday.
Rookie - Burlington: Princeton 7, B-Royals 5
RF Pickett 3-4, K, SB, picked off
1B Watts 2-4, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, K, RS
SS Antonio 2-4, HR, RBI, 2 RS
DH Trapp 1-4, HR, 2 RBI, K, RS
C Shin 0-4, 2 K
3B Bringas 0-4, 2 E -- not the debut he was looking for
Yambati 1/3 IP, 5 R (4 ER), 3 H, 3 BB, K, WP -- L, 0-1, 108.00 ERA, yowch, only lasted 7 batters
Graham 2 2/3 IP, ER, 2 H, 4 K, HRA, WP -- 3.38 ERA
Graffeo 4 IP, ER, 2 H, 7 K, HRA -- 2.25 ERA
Ferguson IP, nothing -- 0.00 ERA
* The Rays used a big 1st to take command and held on to grab the season opener from Burlington. Prospect starter Robinson Yambati's outing went like this: single, single, walk, bases-loaded walk, 2-run single, K, wild pitch, walk, pulled for Tyler Graham. 3B Adrian Bringas committed a 2-run error to make it 5-0 Rays before the 1st inning ended. Graham gave up a solo homer in the 3rd but Mike Antonio led off the 4th with a homer to get the Royals on the board. The Royals stranded 2 in the 5th and Nick Graffeo gave up a solo homer to his stepbrother Cameron Seitzer in the bottom of the inning to make it 7-1. That remained the score entering the 8th, when Antonio reached on an error and Murray Watts hit an inside-the-park homer to cut it to 7-3. Justin Trapp ripped a 2-run homer in the 9th to trim it to 7-5 but the Royals stranded 1. Two Rays had 2 hits. Burlington is 0-1. Game 2 is Wednesday as Matt Ridings starts.
Rookie - AZL: Rangers 8, Royals 7 (Mon.)
DH Lane 3-5, 2B, 2 RBI, K, 2 RS -- best pro debut of Monday night
RF J. Blanco 2-4, BB, 2 RBI, K
3B Cuckovich 2-4, HBP, 2B, RS, SB, E -- solid first game
1B Gaylord 2-4, BB, K, RS -- also nice debut for non-drafted free agent
SS Arteaga 2-5, 2 K, RS, E
C Bello 1-4, SF, RBI, K, E, PB
CF Toney 0-3, BB, HBP, K, SB, 2 CS -- at least he got on base a couple times in the leadoff slot, but made a couple key missteps on the basepaths
LF Gore 0-3, BB, 2 K, RS, SB, E
PH DelGuidice 0-1
The Royals stranded 11.
E. Diaz 2 2/3 IP, 4 R (3 ER), 3 H, 2 BB, 3 K -- L, 0-1, 10.13 ERA
Rivers 1 2/3 IP, 2 R (1 ER), H, 2 BB, 3 K, 2 WP -- 5.40 ERA
Amador 2 2/3 IP, 2 R (1 ER), H, 2 BB, 3 K, HRA, WP -- 3.38 ERA
Stueve IP, H, K -- 0.00 ERA
* The Royals made a comeback attempt but fell 1 run short on Monday. Nick Cuckovich swiped his first pro base with 2 out in the 1st but was thrown out at the plate on a Brian Gaylord single to end the inning. Eric Diaz hit 3 batters in the 1st and a passed ball and 2 singles allowed the Rangers to tally 3 runs in the frame. A run-scoring wild pitch and run-scoring error got the Royals within a run in the 3rd (a DeAndre Toney caught stealing at third bit the Royals) but the Rangers got a run back before Diaz was pulled in the 3rd. The Royals loaded the bases with 0 out in the 4th but 2 Ks and a Toney groundout killed the threat. The Rangers kept the pressure on with 2 runs off Alex Rivers in the 4th thanks in part to 2 errors and 2 wild pitches. Ezequiel Amador stranded the bases full in the 5th and the Royals scored on an error in the 6th to trim it to 6-3. Amador gave up a 2-run homer in the 6th and it would factor in the end result. The Royals loaded the bases with 0 out again in the 7th (hitting 3 singles after another Toney caught stealing) and Travis Lane hit a 2-run double to cut it to 8-5. Rainier Bello hit a sac fly and Jerico Blanco hit an RBI single. The Royals got the tying runner to third but Carlos Garcia got picked off at first to end the inning. The Royals stranded the bases full in the 8th then stranded 1 in the 9th. C Joe Maloney had 2 hits for the Rangers. The Royals doubled up the Rangers in hits, 13-6, but had 5 errors to 4 for the Rangers. The Royals are 0-1. They have today off.