AAA - Omaha: off day
* The Storm Chasers start a 4-game home set with the Albuquerque Isotopes (42-37, AAA Marlins) on Thursday. Vin Mazzaro will start. IF Johnny Giavotella and 1B/DH Clint Robinson will start for the PCL All-Stars when they play the IL All-Stars July 13. P Luis Mendoza also made the squad.
AA - NW Arkansas: all-star break day 2
* The 1-5 Nats start a 3-game home set with the San Antonio Missions (4-2, AA Padres) Thursday.
A-Adv. - Wilmington: Salem 2, Blue Rocks 0
3B Whittleman 2-4, K -- .234
LF Merrifield 1-4 -- .266
RF Testa 0-4, 2 K -- .263
Arguelles 6 2/3 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 4 K, HRA, WP -- L, 2-3, 2.32 ERA
Lafferty 1 1/3 IP, 2 H, K -- 3.90 ERA
Dennick IP, 2 K -- 3.60 ERA
* The Rocks were shut out again as Salem got a 5-hitter on Wednesday. Salem got single runs off Noel Arguelles in the 5th and 6th and the Rocks' best chance came in the 7th when they stranded 2 in scoring position. Wilmington is 3-4. Game 2 is Thursday as Jake Odorizzi is set to start. IF Rey Navarro and OF Nick Francis were moved up to AA as C Ryan Eigsti and OF Nick Van Stratten took their roster slots.
A - Kane County: Burlington 9, Cougars 5
CF Eibner 3-4, 2 HR (5), 3 RBI (9), K, 2 RS -- .206
2B Franco 2-5, HR, 2 RBI (11), K, 2 RS -- .226
3B Cuthbert 2-4, K, RS -- .309
RF Beltre 2-4, K, RS, OF assist at second -- .271
1B Stovall 1-4, K -- .307
LF Fletcher 0-2, BB, K -- .327
Ventura 3 IP, 6 ER, 7 H, 3 BB, 4 K, WP -- L, 2-3, 5.26 ERA
Hodge 3 1/3 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 K, HRA -- 5.40 ERA
Boruff 1 2/3 IP, 2 K -- 1.34 ERA
* Multiple run rallies for the Bees brought the Cougars' win streak to a screeching halt on Wednesday. Yordano Ventura allowed 2 runs in the 1st but Brett Eibner hit his 4th homer of the season for a 2-run shot to tie it and Angel Franco singled in a run in the 2nd to make it 3-2 Cougars. The Cougars stranded 2 in the 3rd. Ventura walked the bases loaded to start the 4th and two singles brought home 2 runs and brought in Mitch Hodge. Two more singles allowed 2 more runs to score to make it 6-3 Bees. Angel Franco led off the 5th with his 1st homer of the season and Eibner hit a leadoff blast in the 6th for his 5th of the season and 2nd of the game. Hodge served up a 3-run homer in the 7th and the Cougars didn't threaten again. The Cougars are 5-1. A 3-game home set with the Beloit Snappers (5-1, A Twins) starts Thursday with Jason Adam starting.
Rookie - Idaho Falls: Chukars 5, Casper 4
1B Moreno 2-4, 2B (3), RS -- .200
C Escobar 2-4, 2B (2) -- .296
CF Davis 1-3, BB, HR, 2 RBI (5), K, 2 RS, SB (2) -- .400, keeps it rolling with first pro homer
LF Sandford 1-5, 3B, 2 RBI (5) -- .259
SS Martinez 1-4, RBI (2), RS -- .250
B. Martin 7 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 4 K, HRA, pickoff -- 3.21 ERA
Carl 2 IP, H, BB, 3 K, WP -- W, 1-0, 0.00 ERA
* Darian Sandford and Runey Davis had big hits in the Chukars' series-opening win over Casper. The Ghosts scored 2 runs in the 1st but Adrian Martinez hit an RBI groundout in the 2nd to cut the lead in half. IF left the bases loaded in the 3rd and Brennon Martin gave up a 2-run homer in the bottom of the inning to make it 4-1 Casper. Davis cut the lead to 1 with his first pro round-tripper, a 2-run shot in the 4th. Edwin Carl stranded 2 Ghosts in the 8th and Sandford hit a 2-out, 2-run triple in the 9th to turn the lead around to the Chukars' favor. Carl pitched a 1-2-3 9th for his 1st win of the season. IF is 4-5. IF is up, 6-2, in the 4th in tonight's game.
Rookie - Burlington: B-Royals 1, Pulaski 0 (completion of Tue. game)
DH Watts 3-3, BB, HR (4), RBI (7), RS, CS -- .258
RF Pickett 2-4, K, E (2) -- .387
SS Antonio 0-2, K -- .333
C Shin 1-4, 3 K -- .200
Murray 2 IP, 3 K -- 1.80 ERA
Mitchell 5 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 K -- W, 1-1, 4.00 ERA
Graffeo 2 IP, 2 H, 5 K, WP, E -- SV, 1, 2.08 ERA
* The Royals finally got their first win in the weather-suspended game from Tuesday. Neither team had put a runner on when play was suspended after an inning and a half on Tuesday. Murray Watts fixed that as the first batter of the day with a solo homer for his 4th at Burlington. Jason Mitchell took over for Matt Murray in the 3rd and stranded 2 in the 3rd and 4th. Mitchell left a runner at third in his final inning of work in the 7th. Nick Graffeo then stranded 2 in the 9th as the Royals broke the goose egg in the wins column for 2011.
Pulaski 4, B-Royals 1 (7/reg. Wed. game)
CF Bonifacio 2-3, HR (2), RBI (4), RS -- .273
LF Brooks 1-3, K -- .333
3B Hamblen 0-3 -- .000
A. Baez 3 2/3 IP, 4 R (1 ER), 5 H, 2 BB, 3 K, WP, balk -- L, 0-1, 11.25 ERA
Rivers 2 1/3 IP, H, BB, 3 K -- 0.00 ERA
R. Brown IP, H -- 0.00 ERA
* The Mariners put the Royals back on the losing track in the second game of the doubleheader. Angel Baez got out of trouble in the 2nd and the Royals left the bases loaded in their half. Jorge Bonifacio went solo for his 2nd homer of the season in the 3rd but a balk, passed ball and error helped the Mariners tie it off Baez in the 4th. A 3-run double cleared the bases and sent Baez to the showers. The last 11 Royals went down in order to finish it. The B-Royals are 1-8. A 3-game set at the Bristol Sox (4-4, Sox as in White) starts Thursday. Non-drafted free agents IF/OF Derek Hamblen and OF Steven Brooks have been added to the roster. C Tyler Smith was moved to IF. P Nick Rogers got moved up to Kane County.
Rookie - AZL: Mariners 8, Royals 5 (Tue.)
RF Allen 3-4, HR, RBI (3), K, 2 RS -- .240, first pro longball
LF Toney 2-5, 2B, K, CS (4) -- .313
2B C. Garcia 1-3, BB, 3B (3), 2 RBI (6), K -- .160
C Marquez 1-3, BB, 2B, RBI -- .167
1B Gaylord 1-3, BB, 2B (2), RBI (2), K, 2 RS -- .222
SS DelGuidice 0-5, K, E (2) -- .407
3B Cuckovich 0-4, K, RS -- .429
Ogando 3 IP, 4 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, HRA, balk, pickoff -- L, 0-1, 12.00 ERA, pro debut of earliest 2011 Royals signed draftee
A. Williams 2 IP, ER, 2 H, BB, 2 K -- 5.40 ERA
Avinazar IP, ER, 3 H, K -- 9.00 ERA
E. Amador 3 IP, 2 ER, 3 H, K -- 3.00 ERA
* One pitch spoiled Cesar Ogando's pro debut for the Royals in Tuesday's loss to the Mariners. Brian Gaylord and Alex Marquez hit RBI doubles in the 2nd to give the Royals the lead, but Ogando allowed his first base hit and 2 walks to load the bases to start the 3rd. SS Martin Peguero then blasted a grand slam to make it 4-2 M's. Ali Williams allowed a run in the 4th but Carlos Garcia hit a 2-run triple in the 4th to cut it to 5-4. Willian Avinazar gave up another run in the 6th but the Royals kept pace again as Jerrell Allen clubbed his 1st pro homer in the 6th to cut it back to 6-5. Ezequiel Amador worked his 3rd inning in the 9th and gave up 2 runs to help the Mariners ice it. The Royals left 2 in scoring position in the 9th. The Royals are 2-5. They play the Reds tonight.